Before starting the installation, make sure the host meets the minimum hardware requirements for ESXi 7.0.0. An excellent place to start is VMware Docs.
The interactive install of ESXi 7 is the most common install for small to medium environments. You boot ESXi from a CD or DVD, USB device or PXE boot from a location on the network. The interactive wizard will guide you through the installation to install ESXi to disk.
1. Welcome to the VMware ESXi 7.0.0 installation. Select (Enter) to continue.
2. Read the end-user license agreement. When your ready, select (F11) to accept and install.
3. The ESXi installer is scanning for available devices. This process will take a few seconds. Please refer to the VMware Hardware Compatability guide if you encounter any issues.
4. Select a Disk to install of Upgrade. (existing VMFS-3 datastores will upgrade to VMFS-5). (Enter) to Continue.
5. Use the arrow key to select a keyboard layout. (Enter) to Continue.
6. Enter a root password.
- Minimum seven characters long
- Must contain characters from three of the following classes
- Lower-case letters
- Upper-case letters
- Special characters
7. The Installer displays a warning before partitioning the drive. Confirm the install, select (F11) install.
8. Installing ESXi 7.0.0
9. Installation complete. Eject installation media and reboot server.
10. Select (F2) to customise the system.